Friday, May 13, 2011

My Journey to China

This month I got to go on a very special trip. May 1-10 I went to Beijing, China. My mom met me there for a 10 day journey. I have always wanted to walk on the GREAT WALL and I finally got to do it!!!

After living on this side of the world (Asia) for over 2 years I see lots of things differently. Thai people and Chinese people are so very very different! Actually almost everything about the 2 cultures are different. I am going to write down some interesting things that I observed and felt in China.

*The Chinese language sounds like people are always yelling at each other. They speak very loudly.

*Chinese food in China is absolutely NOTHING like Chinese food in America!! If you love Chinese food in America don't assume that you will like Chinese food in China. I really didn't like the food that much.

*China has some amazing ancient history (The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, etc.) I loved seeing everything

*China is very advanced despite what many may think. There are many shopping malls and nice hotels there.

*Chinese toddlers wear pants with a big slit in the back and sometimes wear underwear under that with the same slit. The first child I saw with this on I just figured they were poor and the pants were ripped but NOPE. The pants come that way and it's because the child can just squat and go to the bathroom anywhere at anytime. They are definitely potty trained way earlier than American children. I wanted to get a good photo of this but it didn't happen.

*China was a lot more expensive than I expected. The food was not cheap like Thailand. I am so happy to be back in Bangkok where I can eat delicious food for $1.00-$2.00

*The traffic makes perfect sense and is organized to an extent. There is a special lane for bicycles and they have many bicycles there. I was very surprised that it was much better and safer than Thailand. You still have to be very careful but safer than Thailand.

*The GREAT WALL is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I used to teach my 2nd graders about it in Virginia so it was extra special to be able to walk on it. I wanted to walk all day but the tour was limited so I had to settle for just 2 hours. This was definitely my favorite part of the trip.

It was a fun journey and extra special because I got to do it with my mom. I think we saw almost everything there is to see in Beijing within 10 days! Making the most of the time given!

No comments: