Sunday, December 20, 2009

Will I ever see it again? cultural question

O.k. so here is a question that I ask myself often when I lend out something and would like some feedback from my "American readers". Daily I try to figure out "Thai culture". Overall they are the kindest people I know and they will do anything for you. Here is something interesting though. I have let people borrow clothes for various situations/reasons and I never see them again. Seriously! I finally asked an American who has lived in Thailand for about 22 years if that was normal and she said "yes". She told me when you let someone borrow something think about it as giving it to them and be happy if you see it again. Wow- I was really surprised. If you lend someone money they pay you back immediately but if you give them some clothes you may never see them again.

Don't worry I haven't lost anything too important but it is just funny to me. In American culture it is polite to return it and as soon as possible. Some days I struggle to understand the culture and what is considered polite and not polite. I have learned a lesson though. I won't lend out anything nice :)

Who would have thought I would never see it again???

No comments: