Saturday, November 13, 2010

Graduation Adventure

So many things in my life always involve adventure. I love that God has a sense of humor and that He keeps my life exciting! Today was another one of those kinds of days. My day started at 5:30 a.m. when I had to get up and get ready to go to SPU's graduation. A group of us would meet at SPU at 7:30 this morning to go to the Impac Arena for the event. I should have said 7:00 because everyone didn't get there until 8:00 so we got a little bit of a late start. There were 8 of us so 4 people piled into 2 different taxis. One taxi had 3 guys and 1 girl and the other taxi had 4 girls. I was in the all girl taxi. We got in our taxis at the same time and started out on the same road. There was a major traffic jam because so many people were heading to the graduation this mornig. My taxi driver decided that he would turn to the left to go to the Arena but the other taxi kept going straight. This is where the adventure part begins. The other taxi with the 3 guys/1 girl who went straight of course arrived at the Arena within 15 minutes. My taxi was stuck in stand still traffic and it didn't look like we were making any progress. We decided that we would pay the taxi driver and get out and find a motorcycle taxi.

I should stress that when we got out of the taxi we were on a 3 lane highway (not moving) so we had to walk down an exit ramp onto another major highway. When we got to the other highway one motorcycle taxi came and we sent 2 of the girls on this taxi (that means the driver and 2 other people on a motorcycle taxi. I waited with another girl for the next motorcycle taxi to come but of couse none came so we started walking. We saw there were lots of them on the other side of 6 lanes of traffic so we walked until we reached a walking overpass. We climbed I don't know how many stairs and then finally got to the other side to get a motorcycle taxi.

I forgot to mention that both of us are wearing a dress so my Thai friend put her feet to the left side and I put my feet to the right side and we hung on the best we could. We got to the Arena within 5 minutes but were the last to arrive for pictures. These kind of things would never happen in America. That is what makes living in another culture so exciting- crazy things happen. I took a taxi, walked, rode a motorcylce taxi (3 people on one) and walked some more to get to a graduation.

Some of these situations you would have to see with your own eyes to truly believe and understand but trust me this kind of stuff happens often and it makes life fun!

No comments: