Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Life of Flexibility

I work hard to be a flexible person. After going on so many misssions trips and living in several different countries I think I am pretty good at being flexible. I have REALLY learned how to be flexible living in Thailand. There is a saying here "Thai time" and it is what it means. People here are on Thai time not on the time of a regular clock. There are always a few exceptions (the wonderful people who make an appointment with you and come on time) but those are the minority. I am still almost always on time but have learned to always bring work with me so that I can accomplish something while I wait for the other person to arrive.

The other area of my life where I have to be flexible is my schedule. When you work with Univ. students the schedule is always changing! I had just gotten into an excellent routine with teaching some English classes at SPU, tutoring some students, discipling some new believers, and even weekly lunch dates with students. Last week that all ended because last week and this week are exam week and tomorrow will be the end of the term (semester). It all seemed to be going so perfect and then it ends.

The positive side is that I can look forward to a new term (semester) with a new schedule! I get to teach new classes which means new students. I get to tutor (hopefully the old students) and some new students. I am praying daily for God to make an even better schedule for me this next term so I can do even more with building relationships with previous students and to meet new students.

I like routine (I guess it is the teacher in me) but change can be good too. i will enjoy my 2 week vacation in America with family and friends and then will return to a whole new schedule. If I want to make the most of my time here in Thailand I have to live a life of flexibility!!

No comments: