Saturday, October 2, 2010

My Heart Language

My title today means so very much to me but some of you may think what does that mean??? Every day I leave my condo and journey out into a world that speaks a different language. I do understand the language somewhat but it takes work. I have to concentrate on what someone is saying and then translate in my mind into my own heart language and then by that time it is too late to reply and someone is talking about something else. Welcome to my life!!

I have heard so many times when you just understand Thai and don't translate the language to your own then you have success! I wonder if that day will ever come. I know that trying to translate Thai into English doesn't work well anyways, because the word order doesn't make sense and some words simply just don't translate! I know it but it doesn't stop me from trying. It makes us feel more comfortable when we can understand it 100% in our own heart language.

After saying all that it makes such a clear picture of how Thai's will understand the Gospel so much more if it is presented in their heart language! Students want to study English and I can offer that--I'm an expert in that (or at least they think I am). I use that benefit to often share the Gospel with students by having them read C2C (Creation to Christ) story in English or even studying the Bible in English with students. I also always give the students the story or study written in Thai so they can read it and understand it more, but I know they would get so much more out of it if it was taught in Thai!

At this time I just don't have the ability to teach the Bible in Thai. I wish I did with all my heart but it's just not possible. But everyone has to start somewhere so my starting point is that I am memorizing in Thai all of the Bible verses that go with the Evangecube. Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, Romans 4:25, Romans 10:9, and Ephesians 2:8-9. So far I can say Romans 3:23 in Thai and am learning Romans 5:8. It is not an easy task but I'm praying that God will give me the ability to do it and not give up!

I love to sing praise songs, read the Bible, share, and listen to messages in my heart language! I miss several of those things a lot of times. Then I remember why I am here in Thailand--to share the Good News of Jesus with the Thai people and how better to share then in their HEART LANGUAGE (THAI)! I have a long way to go to get there but there is a starting point for everything and I am on my way!

1 comment:

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Yes, you will get there. I believe it. What a beautiful post.