Monday, March 7, 2011

New Traditions, Projects, and more......

I love how life is always changing and a lot of those changes are positive, rewarding, and beneficial for myself and for others. I will share about a few of those changes in this post.

One New Tradition that just recently started involves a group of us going to the park every Saturday afternoon around 3:30. If you are wondering why we go at that time it is mainly because the weather is quite hot here so between 3-4 p.m. the sun is less intense. There are about 4-6 people from my church who go together every Saturday. At first we tried to play ultimate frisbee but it's too difficult with such a small amount of people. We were exhausted within the first 20-3o minutes because we were constantly running. Now we usually go and play basketball at a half-court area in the park. There are many advantages to playing basketball in this location. One major advantage is that there are several Thai people who play there every week so now we have made some new friends. I love that I am getting some intense exercise at least 1 day a week and that it is becoming routine for me to go every week. The other fun part is that after we exercise at the park for several hours (until about 6:30) a group of us go and eat dinner together. It is a great time of fellowship with other believers at our church. I hope to be able to get to know the people that we play basketball with better so that we can invite them also to join us for dinner.

Another new tradition is that every Sunday afternoon from 1:00-2:30 we have our Sunday school time at Canaan. We just started this 3 weeks ago and currently have 3 different classes. I help teach one class with P'Pom (my Thai friend). There have been 7-8 people in my class every week so far. I am very encouraged by this great start for such a small church. We only have about 20-30 people total on an average Sunday for church. Today there were 8 in my class and 6 in another class and 2 in the other class. That is over 50% of the church participating in sunday school. Praise the Lord for this great start!

This week I will also start teaching my Thursday night Bible/English class at the BSC. This will be my 2nd (7 week term) to teach there. I am so excited because at least 4 of my students from last term plan to study with me again. They are all non-christians but they continue to desire to learn more about Jesus. I am also praying for some new students to join this term also. I am so thankful that the door opened for me to teach this class on Thursday nights and hope to make this a long running tradition because it is such an easy way to share the Good News with people and that is really what I came here to do!

Every week is different for me but it's exciting most of the time. Sripatum Univ. is closed for a few weeks until the summer term starts the 21st. Chulalongkorn Univ. is finishing up their final exams this week and then will have a break for a few weeks before their summer term begins also. Even though I am not going to SPU at all for a few weeks and only going to Chula to meet with P'Thai to study English/Bible with her on Wed. I am still keeping busy as God continues to open new doors all around me!

I love new traditions, projects, and anything God has for me! I hope to update on more again soon!

No comments: