Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday in Bangkok

Today didn't quite feel like Easter here in Bangkok for many reasons. One reason is because there were very few people at church this morning because most of them have left to be with their family for the Thai New Year (Songkran). We celebrated it as a church last Sunday.

The second reason is because around 3:00 this afternoon I was told that Bangkok was now in a state of emergency and that military tanks were situated in several places and were ready to act on the protestors if necessary. I had to take the subway home in order to avoid all of the action. This is not a time to want to be in on or see the action. I live only a few miles from where most of it is taking place so I will be staying home tomorrow.

When I arrived home this evening I took some time to read in the Gospels the story of Jesus death and resurrection. I was reminded of the sacrifice that He made for each of us and that He wants us to tell others about His great love!

I hope that everyone had a very wonderful Easter!