Monday, April 27, 2009

I had my umbrella today but wasn't prepared for the flood!











After getting caught in the rain 3 times without an umbrella I finally decided that my umbrella goes everywhere with me no matter what the weather looks like when I leave. It is the "hot" season right now but there have been some storms every now and then because of the intense heat. Today was no exception.

When I left language school around 1:00 today the storm was moving in but it had not started to rain yet. I was hoping to make it home before the intense storm started but I only made it to the end of my street and decided to go in the shopping center and eat and just wait for the rain to pass. It was raining really hard that really an umbrella didn't help anyways so I went to Mc'Donalds and ate and did my homework for language school. I stayed there for a little over an hour and the rain had stopped so I decided I would walk home.

I had a big surprise when I walked out of the shopping center and realized my whole road was flooded. The sidewalk was still o.k. but when a car passed on the road the water splashed on the sidewalk. Just remember this water is really dirty. I was wishing that i had my boots but who would have known. The water was almost knee deep in places. I got to a place where I would have to cross a little road and the water was so deep that I wasn't going to do it. One police officer offered to give me a piggy back ride. I laughed and declined the offer. One officer helped me across by me climbing on this rolling thing that I stood on and he pulled across (he had boots to protect his legs:) I was on dry sidewalk again but realized I couldn't make it down the road. A guy who worked at one of the street vendors told me he would take me on his motorcycle so I took him up on the offer.
I made it home without getting too wet. I really don't mind getting wet and would have walked through the water but---it is really dirty water and they do have some really yucky snakes and rats here! Here are a few pictures. Enjoy! Every day is an adventure in Bangkok!

No comments: