Friday, April 24, 2009

I survived week 1 of Module 3---that is an accomplishment!

I made it through my first week of Module 3 and I didn't cry all week! That is an accomplishment for me! I have a really strict teacher that I am a little scared of at times. She is funny though. She knows I am scared of her and actually keeps telling me in Thai don't be scared of me. She gives me a little "pep" talk in Thai every day about how I just need to ask more questions and be more confident:) It is kind of funny. I have gotten caught a few times asking another American guy in my class a question because I was confused and she looked at me and said in Thai- don't ask your friend ask me.

Every day is an adventure in language school. I have learned how to write 9 long vowels and 14 consonants in Thai this week. It is a difficult process. They do not have any letters so it is almost like drawing a symbol. The hardest thing so far has been remembering where to put the vowels. The vowels are written either above, below, to the right, or to the left of the consonant. It has been a bit of a challenge this week memorizing how to write the symbol, what sound it makes and then where to put the vowel. The teacher gave us a dictation test today and we were not allowed to use our books so we had to do it all from memory. She did them all fairly quickly so I will have to wait until Monday to see how I did.

Speaking Thai is also a great adventure each week. Half of the time I am clueless and it is usually written all over my face. I haven't cried this week yet--and this is really a great accomplishment! I often feel like the "special kid" in class who just doesn't get it. I keep trying though so that counts for something! I will share 1 funny story from class this week and then end because this is getting too long.

We were practicing a sentence pattern in Thai this week where you had to ask the teacher when she finished ______ then please do _____ for me. One of the guys said in thai--when you finish taking a shower will you please wash my clothes. The problem was that for this sentence pattern both of the blanks were things that she was doing for you---so in other words the guy asked the teacher. when you finish giving me a shower will you please wash my clothes--we all laughed for a while on this one.

Lesson of the day--do not try to directly translate from one language to another because it doesn't work!! Sorry for the long post--I am averaging about one a week these days:)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hey Ann, hang in there! I'm finally at my destination and will be starting school hopefully the week after next! Not to rub it in, but I'm glad I don't have all those symbols to write! :-) Take care! Steph