Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It's Exam Time!!!!

It is hard to believe but Module 1 (beginning Thai class) is almost finished. I have 2 more days left. Tomorrow (Wednesday) is the oral exam! As a class we will be going to one of the city markets and have to talk to a vendor and bargain for some fruit or vegetables. I am a little nervous about it because you tend to forget everything when you are in the situation and the rest of the class is watching you. I will need lots of prayers!

Thursday is the written exam. We have been taught so much information that I am nervous about whether or not I will remember it. I know I don't have all of it in memory because it is too much but hopefully I can follow the questioning enough to write an answer. I have been told that it is 20 questions written in phonetic Thai and we write the answer in phonetic Thai (formal answer). Most of the time you repeat almost all of the question and omit and add a few words--let's hope I know which words to take away and which words to add. By the way in case you don't understand I have only learned how to identify words in phonetic form. I don't get to the actual Thai writing (symbols and such) until Module 3.

I will then have a 3 day week-end and then back to school on Monday to begin Module 2. I will have a different teacher for Module 2 and will be adding more vocabulary to use in conversation. I like to use the word exposure a lot. I am being exposed to a ton of Thai vocabulary and am trying to keep as much of it in memory as possible. I can already tell that even when I am done with "formal language" school in a few months that I will be constantly learning during my 2 years here--this is a very difficult language!

No comments: