Thursday, February 26, 2009

Multi purpose umbrellas

One of the great things about living here in Bangkok is that it hasn't rained one day since my arrival:) It is so nice to wake up every day to a beautiful sunny day! My umbrella just sits in my closet until the "rainy season" arrives or at least I would have thought that a few weeks ago.

Thai people do not want to have dark skin so they do everything they can to keep the sun away like wear long sleeve shirts, pants, and carry umbrellas or something to shield their heads. Isn't that funny since most Americans want to be dark and do everything they can to be out in the sun or go to the tanning bed.

At first I didn't understand why they would want to carry umbrellas around everywhere but I am thinking about getting mine out soon. It is SO HOT HERE and especially in the sun. I don't want to be in the sun at all because the heat is unbearable. I am a little afraid of how hot it is going to get here because April is the hottest month and it is still a month away. I am not willing to wear long sleeve shirts to keep the sun away but carrying an umbrella seems like a pretty smart idea.

Just to give you an idea of how hot it is here--I looked on line and the temperatures is usually around 96-98 and next to it the words "feels like and then usually digits like 102 or 104. I am so very thankful for air conditioning in my apartment. Pray for the many many Thai people that live here that don't have air conditioning during this very hot season!

No comments: