Saturday, February 28, 2009

Unsuccessful shopping day

I was so excited to sleep in this morning. I love Saturday--it is one of my favorite days of the week. I usually don't have any responsibilities and can just do whatever I want. Today I slept in late, talked to my parents on skype, and then went out on a shopping adventure to find a few new shirts.
I have not figured out the right places to shop yet in this gigantic city. There are so many shopping malls here but almost all of the stores are upscale stores and they are very very expensive. I looked in a few stores today but I just couldn't make myself buy a shirt that costs that much money. I am really looking for a store here that would be similar to Target or Old Navy in the US. Clothes that are cute but affordable. I haven't had any luck finding them. The only stores here that would sound familiar to you that they have here is Espirit, Guess, North Face, Benetton--and the clothes are so expensive!
On the other hand there is a Big C store or Tesco/Lotus store that is similar to Wal-mart. You can find cheap clothes there but they are not good quality and after a few times putting them in the washing machine you realize why they were so cheap:)
I spent about 3 hours out and about today and all I bought was lunch and a drink at Starbucks. I hope to find a good affordable store soon.

You may be wondering why would I need new shirts when I have only been here about 2 months. Let me just say that it is really hot here and I change clothes on a regular basis and go through 2 outfits a day. Almost everything must be washed after 1 wearing so all of the new things I bought before coming here have been washed a lot and are already almost worn out. It is just part of living here. I always thought it sounded funny when I heard that Thai people commonly shower 3-5 times a day and that they are clean people. The 3-5 times a day is really not all because they are clean people it is because it is necessary. I shower at least 2 times a day and sometimes 3 depending on the day.
That is all for my Saturday update. I will let you know if I find a good store.

No comments: