Monday, February 2, 2009

Visit to the Hospital

Today I had to go to the hospital--don't worry I am not sick! I had to go because you must have a check up with the Dr. to get a certificate so I can receive a work VISA. The reason why I had to go to the hospital is because they don't have offices here like in the US. You go to the hospital for everything.

Several of the hospitals here are International hospitals. They are so beautiful and clean! The one I went to today is on SOI 1 (street 1) and I live on SOI 2. I walked there today with my paper that I needed to have a check up so I could receive a Work Visa. I was a little scared as I walked there wondering if they would speak English and if I would be waiting for many many hours to see the Dr. Before hand I had my tutor write what I needed in Thai in case they couldn't understand my Thai:)

I arrived at the hospital around 10:45 this morning and the first lady I saw greeted me in English and directed me to the 10th floor. I got to the 10th floor and more greeted me in English and one lady had me fill out a sheet of information, took my picture, and then sent me to the 15th floor. I arrived on the 15th floor and in about 15 minutes I was taken back to see the Dr. He spoke perfect English and asked me a few questions. The check up took about 5 minutes total and I was finished. I left the hospital by 11:15! I was absolutely amazed at how efficient they were at the hospital. Now I will know just what to do when I really am sick and need to go there.

My tutor let me know today that for my final tutoring session tomorrow (myself and 2 other Americans) will go out on the street and talk to people! We have learned all of these phrases and now he wants to see us put them to good use! I am a little nervous but it should be fun. I know how to ask about 10-20 questions now in Thai. However my tones are not always right so it is hard to say whether people tomorrow are going to understand me or not. I could be using the wrong word because I have the wrong tone!

I will let you know how it goes. The countdown is on for "official language school to begin". 3 days!

No comments: