Sunday, February 8, 2009

Where did the week-end go????

I am sure that is the question on many minds when Sunday night has already arrived! It is actually about 11:00 p.m. as I am writing this entry. I did get to relax and rest yesterday (saturday) which was greatly needed. I slept in quite late and mainly hung out around my apartment.
Today (Sunday) I left my apartment around 10:00 a.m. for church and arrived home around 9:00 p.m. I am starting to understand a few Thai words in songs and from the messages. I am thankful that I always have people who guide me to the right verses in the Bible. I attended the morning service at 10:45 which goes until around 12:00 and then we all eat lunch together. After lunch we just hang out and talk. I have really been able to build some great friendships with some of the young ladies from the church. Around 2:00 I went for a snack run with 3 other girls to the 7-11 store. I may not have told you this before but there are so many 7-11 stores here!! I have never seen that many in my life. Apparently they are very popular here. I got my coca-cola (caffeine fix) and a small snickers bar---you know the things you always need--ha ha!
Then at 2:30 I was told that I needed to teach this group of 9 Thai people English for 30 minutes because the man teaching English had to go early. Good thing I am a teacher by trade. I told the class that the man taught them the grammar part and now we were going to converse in the last 30 minutes. By the way the man who was teaching is American but he also speaks perfect Thai so he could translate to them anytime they didn't understand something. They didn't receive that luxury with me because I don't speak Thai:) Luckily the 30 minutes passed by fairly quickly. I let the class ask me questions to practice their English and that way they would also learn some things about me too. I will be teaching this group every Sunday for 30 minutes. I never know what new job I may have each day but that is just part of the journey.
I stayed at church for the 3:45 service. I always love this service. It is the young college crowd and I really love the praise and worship at this time. I almost always know the songs and can sing in English until I learn them in Thai. One of the young Thai girls translated the message for me which is always an extra blessing.
After the service a group of us sat around for many hours and sang praise and worship songs while a few of the guys played their guitars. It was an awesome time of fellowship! I finally made it home around 9:00 tonight but really felt blessed to have found such a great church body of believers here. Worship is such an awesome experience in any language!

No comments: