Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Toilets of a different culture:)

I am sure after reading my title you are eager to read my entry about "toilets". I thought it was time to write about some of the cultural differences here:)

1st- there are the toilets that are just like US toilets. They flush nicely and you can use toilet paper. (These kind of toilets are normally found at the very nice upscale malls and I am guessing the nice hotels and fancy homes/apartment buildings.) side note--the toilet paper is very very thin and not soft at all here.

2nd- there are the toilets that are regular toilets by sight and you can flush them but you can't flush toilet paper down them. My guess is that the septic system backs up too easily but I truly don't know. (These kind of toilets are found at my church, apartment, and many other places in the community.)

3rd- there are the toilets that are regular toilets by sight but there is not a flusher--you just pour water in them to flush. (These kind of toilets are found at public parks, markets, etc..)

4th- there are holes in the ground that are toilets. This is actually what most Thai people have in their homes. You will also find these in public places like parks, markets, and in the countryside.

One thing I carry with me at all times is kleenox and baby wipes. A lot of the time you won't find toilet paper in public bathrooms so you better have your own. A lot of bathrooms also do not have soap to wash your hands. They only have water. Never leave your home without the 2 things I mentioned above or you could find yourself in a not so good situation:)

Hope you enjoyed the entry today. Give thanks for the many amenities you have in America that many people in other parts of the world may never experience!

1 comment:

danabrown said...

Girl! I want to send you some Cottonelle or Angel Soft! I just need to figure out this postage situation...

Are the holes in the ground tiled like they are in India?