Friday, January 23, 2009

Have you ever wished you could have a fresh start?

That was the question asked tonight at "Friday Night Life" to the students who have come to learn English. He talked about how in America we make resolutions for the upcoming year. The speaker tonight was a retired principal from America. He talked about how students would be kicked out of a school and would then be sent to his school for a fresh start but would end up finding the wrong friends and get in trouble again. He explained how the only way to get a fresh start is for us to become a new person---we have to change! He used the Scriputure found in Romans 1:20. After his "message" we discussed in small groups a goal that they would have for 2009 and how they can accomplish the goal and who will hold them accountable. I had a group of about 9 in my circle and they all answered in English (I had a hard time understanding a few of them). Almost all of the people who come on Friday nights are not believers. They all range in age from elementary age students to grandparents. I am beginning to build relationships with several of the students (many of them University students). I look forward each Friday night to being a part of this ministry.

I also realized that I didn't write anything yesterday so I will give a quick update. I went out to Sripatum Univ. for a few hours and we had a small Bible study with 4 students who are believers. All of it was done in Thai so I didn't understand a thing but I enjoy hearing people pray in a different language. After leaving the University I joined one of the cell groups (Bible study groups) from my church. One of the guys translated for me. I hope to be able to be a part of this cell group on a regular basis on Thursday evenings.

I feel so blessed! I am beginning to make many wonderful Thai friends. I am feeling more at home and am learning something new in Thai every day!

I hope many of you at home will set some goals for 2009 and will ask yourself how can I accomplish these and who will hold me accountable??

No comments: