Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Things you just learn!

When you enter a new culture there are things you just learn on your own--no one has to tell you--you figure it out yourself!

One of those things is when you walk on the sidewalks or streets you must look down and ahead. You may think it is a religious thing. No-not at all. You look down and ahead while you walk because dogs and cats roam the streets and go to the bathroom everywhere. If you don't look you will step in it! Luckily I learned quickly and didn't have to learn from experience.

Another thing is that the Thai anthem is played at 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. every day and when it comes on you must stand in place. Monday morning I was in the park running with my ipod on and lots of people exercising all around me. Suddenly I realized that everyone froze so I took my ipod out of my ears and realized the anthem was playing and stood still until it finished. I think I was a few seconds late on stopping but will do better next time.

Those are the first 2 things that I have learned on my own. I have learned lots of other things too but won't write about all of them.

Today was my 2nd day of language. I feel a bit overwhelmed but it will all fall into place. There are several sounds that I just can't seem to make my mouth say or when I do say it I wonder if it really is a sound. I am thankful for those basic letter sounds like m, n, s, etc.. that just make the same old sound they make in English--. I am always thankful when a few of those letter sounds are included in the lesson so I won't get everything wrong.

As of 11 p.m. tonight (in 6 hours) I will have been here exactly 1 week. It feels much longer to me. I feel pretty comfortable with getting around and have established somewhat of a routine. 1 week down and many, many, many more to go:)

1 comment:

danabrown said...

It does feel longer than a week! And you are blowing me out of the water in blog land, I am ashamed of myself, but I have been very busy with Inauguration preps!