Sunday, January 11, 2009

Worship in another language

This morning I got ready for church and then walked to the sky train. On my way to the sky train I listened to praise and worship music on my ipod. I wasn't sure what the service would be like but I wanted to prepare my heart for worship and music always helps.

It took me about 25-30 minutes to get from my apartment to the Thai church that I will be attending. I ride the sky train for quite a while and then walk many blocks to get there. It is a small church called (Canaan Baptist Church) located on a side street that looks more like an alley. The church is made up of mainly young people.

The morning service which starts at 10:45 is mainly made up of young people who recently graduated from college and are working now. Most of them came to know the Lord through a university ministry and now they are rising up in leadership to lead the music and other activities. After the service we all ate lunch. It is very typical here to eat every Sunday after church at the church.

I stayed at the church until the service at 3:45 started. The service at this time has students who are currently university students. This is a younger crowd so there music is different than the earlier service.

Both services were done all in Thai. I didn't understand a thing:) I did know almost all of the music because it is a praise and worship song that we would sing here but they just sang it in Thai. I also had a person that would tell me what Scripture we were reading from the Bible so I could look it up and read it. I didn't understand the messages at all but it was good to see these young people have a passion for the Word of God. It makes me really excited about the work that the Lord sent me here to do!

language study begins tomorrow and that will be my focus for the next 3 months. You can pray for me lots because I am going to need it! This language is hard! You can also begin to pray for great relationships to develop with students that I met today at church. This is the church that I will be attending for my 2 years here in hopes also of growing and planting many more!

2 comments:

danabrown said...

Hey! I just want to say that I'm so glad you are blogging! I just got up here and I'm about to get ready for church. I'm going at Union Station today since the pastor that's leading our new church we're starting in a couple of weeks will be commissioned today. It will be different for me but nowhere near as different as it was for you today!!

Good for you for listening to your own praise and worship and I'm glad someone was able to help you find the scriptures. The Lord will reward your dilligence in seeking Him!

danabrown said...

I'm sorry to be a multi-commenting stalker... but I have to comment on your heading. WOW!! I love the picture and the verse, I'm very impressed!!!