Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What did you say??

This is the question that I must ask my tutor at least 100 times during the 1 1/2 hour session each day. So far I have learned 20 consonant sounds. The good news is that 14 of those sounds are very similar to sounds in English. The other 6 not so much. Just when I think I might have a sound down my tutor puts it in a word and I just have no idea how to put those sounds together. I feel like a kindergartner learning my sounds for the first time and trying to figure out how to blend them together.

I have also learned 12 vowel sounds. I am really struggling with one of them but the others are not too bad. They of course do not match English at all but they remind me of something that my mouth is familiar with doing. (Just so you know there are 24 vowel sounds so I have only learned half of them)!

I have also learned about 4 of the 5 tones. There is the mid-tone, rising tone, falling tone, and low tone. My tutor actually read 10 words today using different tones and I had to identify which tone he was using. I actually got 7 out of 10 right! Of course that is 70%, which is a barely passing grade in America, but for only 3 days of language I can live with it.

I have learned a few short phrases and questions like: What is your name? My name is ____.
Pleased to meet you. How are you doing? I am doing fine. Thank you and you are welcome. I don't say them all correctly but am working on it. It is hard to remember the sounds and tones in each word. I am thankful that I have a very patient tutor.

Tomorrow I get to go to one of the Univ. campuses!! I am so excited! I can't wait to see what they are like and to meet some students. I guess I could attempt to practice my Thai with them--yikes!! I will try to take some pictures if it fits the situation.

sawat dii kha---"good-bye"

No comments: